Saturday, April 5, 2014

300- Hejinian

I found that there was a lot of good quotes in these short poems/ writings. I decided that I would say them and then describe why I liked them so much.

(a pause, a rose, something on paper)
"The overtones are a denser shadow in the room characterized by its habitual readiness, a form of charged waiting, a perpetual attendance, of which I was thinking when I began the paragraph, "So much of childhood is spent in a manner of waiting." (9)
The reason why I loved this quote is because I can identify with it. It is true that childhood is spent in waiting. Waiting to grow up, waiting to go to bigger and better places, and waiting to figure out who you are and what your purpose is. Most of the time we are still waiting to figure all of this out. But the childhood stage is mostly where all of this takes place. As children we are asked questions like, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" It seems like already people are making them think about the future. Not only that but the media shows us that growing up is one of the best things in the world. Everything is pushing children to grow up, and until they do, they are just waiting.

(As for we who love to be astonished)
"It is as if one splashed in the water lost by one's tears." (10)
I liked this quote just for the pure beauty of what it is saying. It seems to convey a ton of emotions along with a depressing tone. We do not know for sure if these tears are ones of joy or sorrow but the imagery is still there. It then brings to the mind of one diving into those emotions. Facing whatever made them cry. I liked this quote because it seemed to strike something in me, and because it seems so depressing. There is no other way to put it.


No comments:

Post a Comment