Saturday, April 5, 2014

300- event factory

Before I started reading the Event Factory, I read the intro. It stated that the color yellow was used frequently throughout the story. I decided that whenever I would come across the word yellow I would make a tally on how often it did show up. The answer was 21 times. During these times I would try and figure out what this symbolizes. Normally, when I think of the color yellow I think of something warm like the sun. However, in the story it was more something like a fog or hazy. It would describe the air. It was something like pollution. At least that was my first thought after reading most of the story.
 
Something else I wanted to pay attention to was the use of the word hello, or variations of it. I did not count how many times it was used, but I noticed that it had to have some significance. While reading all of theses introductions, I wondered why they seemed so important. Sometimes these people would just be in one scene and that was all. I figured then it was just part of the culture that was in this area. But, I also noticed that in some instances there was more to the word. "Hello, in case it was also time to fuck"(23). I found it weird that saying hello also led to random kissing sessions or sexual acts.

There were some things that I was quite confused about while I was reading. First, I was not sure if the main character was a boy or a girl. It does not really matter which it was but I wanted to be able to clearly identify the character. I later found out that it was a girl. Another mystery as while I read was how she even got to this place. Also, why she continued to stay when she knows that it was time to leave. The need to find out what was wrong with this place kept her there but in all reality the place was fine. I wondered why the author decided to make this area fine after describing it like it was dying or breaking. It seemed more logical to keep the idea that the area was flawed. Yet, there was people like Simon who were willing to stay there because they felt like home. 

Over all I felt like this story was a mystery. I got into it thinking that it would clear up eventually. It solved some problems but I felt like there was a lot I was still missing. 1. What was that place? 2. Is it really coming alive instead of dying? 3. What is she going to do now that she knows this place is alive? There is still so much to be answered for in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment